Winterlude 2010, wk. 2, Ottawa, ON
A friend suggested I see the ice sculptures at night this year because they light them up and there are less children to run your over - well she was right about the first part. So I dragged by boyfriend out to Confederation Park on a Saturday night to see the sculptures and we were confronted with a new feature of Winterlude - a giant dance party. Apparently this year they play techno every Friday and Saturday night to attract a younger audience - it was very loud, but we still managed to see the sculptures without too much trouble.
Under the advice of my sister, I have decided to pick an "author's choice" and allow my followers (yay for my one follower!) to pick a "follower's choice"
Follower's Choice: Like one of the pictures more than the others? Let me know which you like best - next week I'll post the most popular!
Author's Choice: Every week I will pick my favourite picture and try to explain why. My choice is marked with a ♥
This sculpture was not part of the competition but done as a decoration piece. The guns on the ship would light up every so often like they were shooting.
The Butterfly
The Chimera. After I took some pictures of this sculpture (which won 3rd place in the competition), I was suddenly surrounded by 9 year old boys trying to get closer to the sculpture and had to wait for them to settle down before I could get away. Tied for Follower's Choice with The Mermaid
The Geisha.
This sculpture won first prize.
The Gnome. I really liked this one because they utilized the tree in the scene. I also love knitting so the yarn bombing was a bonus!
The Mermaid. The detail on the fin (hard to see in the photo) is extremely intricate, making this a pretty impressive piece.♥ - this is my favourite photo because of the way the light shines right through her stomach, giving her a supernatural feeling
Tied for follower's choice with The Chimera

Recycle Walrus. I LOVE this guy! He is made of all recycled material - old water bottles mostly. I just think he is so creative :)


The Chinese Dragon. At one point they had this guy breathing fire - but I guess it was melting the ice so they stopped and we missed it.


Gone Fishin'. This one is fun - they even have the lure seemingly floating about the fish




Quite lovely. I really like the way you capture the light in each photo, it brings a whole new dynamic and depth to the sculptures.
ReplyDelete